Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hope vs grumpiness

A copy of "Insight," the Newsletter of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, reached my desk today. I liked the quotation from Elder Maxwell so I thought I'd share it in my blog:

"Ultimate hope and daily grumpiness are not reconcilable. It is ungraceful, unjustified, and unbecoming of us as committed Church members to be constantly grumpy or of woeful countenance. Do we have moments of misery or some down days? Yes! But the promise is that Christ will 'lift thee up' (Moroni 9:25). The disciple can note the depressing signs of the times without being depressed. He can be disappointed in people without being offended at life. Thus it is that ultimate hope, if it does not finally dissolve our daily dissapointments, at least puts them in perspective." (Thanksgiving speech, November 26, 1980)

1 comment:

Diane said...

So true. Can't be constantly grumpy and consider yourself an optimist.

PS--I'll be watching for your TS Elliott poetry.