Friday, March 21, 2008

Humans and Neandertals

I'm still read Science magazine while taking lunch and the latest tidbits to come from my browsing the last few days are to do with human migrations and Neandertals.

According to 26 October 2007 magazine, Neandertals had red hair and fair complexions (p. 546). And then recently I read (I can't remember where) that in a few years red hair will be non-existent. But according to Wikipedia, that fact is not true. There are lots of interesting facts and lore about red heads on their site. I suppose my interest was drawn to this snippet because my grandmother had red hair and several cousins on both my Welsh and Scots sides.

I just went to a computerized family history conference and one session included information on finding family members through DNA testing. So when I saw an article in Science magazine on migrations to the Americas through DNA testing, I scanned the article. What was interesting to me was that the people in the Americas were what is termed "modern" homo sapiens, only from 16 ka (16,000 years ago). Hmm. What does it all mean?

No comments: